Campus Job Descriptions
- Vice President of Academics and Student Services
- Dean of Business, Career, and Technical Programs
- Program Director of Adult Education
- Director of the SVCC Police Academy
- Assistant Director of the SVCC Police Academy and Security
- Dean of Transfer Programs and Academic Support Services
- Learning Commons Library Coordinator
- Learning Commons Tutoring Coordinator
- Dean of Health Professions
- Dean of Student Services
- Director of Athletics and Fitness Center
- Director of Enrollment Management/Registrar
- Director of Financial Assistance
- Student Support Services Project Director
- Director of Disability Support Services
- Vice President of Advancement
- Executive Director of Donor Relations and Economic Development
- Director of Business Training and Community Education
- Career Services and Community Education Program Coordinator
- Vice President of Business Services (CFO)
- Dean of Information Technology
- Director of Infrastructure and Network Services
- Director of Software and User Services
- Director of Facilities
- Director of Human Resources
TITLE:Learning Commons Writing Center Instructional Assistant
SUPERVISED BY:Learning Commons Tutoring Coordinator
CATEGORY:Part-time Professional Technical (Grant Funded)
FUNCTION OF THE JOB:
Assist the Learning Commons Writing Center Coordinator in the day-to-day operations of the Writing Center and provide students with writing and reading comprehension support in a variety of ways.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Consult with students with writing-related assignments.
- Identify and refer students to appropriate supplementary materials.
- Conduct workshops, programs, and skill building sessions.
- Conduct tours of the Learning Commons Writing Center for Sauk classes and visiting groups.
- Visit classrooms to explain the services of the Learning Commons Writing Center.
- Monitor and assist students in using assistive technology; including use of software and equipment aids for students with disabilities.
- Maintain security of records and act as custodian of supplies and equipment.
- Maintain current tutoring/student records.
- Collect and process data for research as requested.
- Supervise student tutors as needed.
- Supervise the Learning Commons Writing Center in the absence of the Writing Center Coordinator.
- Assume all other reasonable duties and responsibilities as assigned by the supervisor.
- Must understand and support the mission of the community college.
- Must have strong interpersonal skills and possess excellent verbal and written skills.
- Must be able to work with Microsoft Office products.
- Must be able to provide student assistance through a variety of platforms including in-person sessions, virtual avenues, email, and phone.
- Must be able to provide oral/verbal responses to student questions, and assist faculty given general guidance.
- Must be able to work in a team environment.
- Must be able to work flexible hours including some evenings.
Frequent contact is made with all levels of College personnel, students, faculty, the general public, and outside organizations in relation to specific departmental duties and services.
Functional supervision is exercised over student tutors and the Learning Commons Writing Center in the absence of the supervisor.
Bachelor’s degree in an appropriate field and experience which provides relevant knowledge and skills required. Previous writing center experience preferred. Ability to establish and maintain good working relationships with staff and students required.
TORT LIABILITY STATEMENT:
Coordinates the College Risk Management Program in a capacity appropriate to this position. This includes, but is not limited to, monitoring conditions, events and circumstances present through daily College operations, and communicating observations to the appropriate supervisor or taking necessary actions to correct, prevent or limit safety problems. May serve as a member of a committee that supports the health, safety and/or legal rights of visitors, students and staff. Such committees may include the AA/EEO, Sexual Harassment, and Safety/Loss Control committees. (Risk Management Categories I, III, IV. See Tort file.)
This description is intended to indicate the kinds and levels of work difficulty that will be required of the position that will be given the title and shall not be construed as declaring what specific duties and responsibilities of any particular position shall be. It is not intended to limit or in any way modify the right of the supervisor to assign, direct, and control the work of employees under supervision. The use of a particular expression or illustration describing duties shall not be held to exclude other duties not mentioned that are of a similar kind or level of difficulty.