To foster collaborative student-advisor relationships centered on developing and defining personal, academic, and career goals, and introducing appropriate resources to achieve those goals.
- Provide access to professional academic advisors that demonstrate care and respect.
- Collaborate with students to create academic plans that reflect their personal, academic, and career goals.
- Provide information related to campus and community resources as appropriate to the individual student.
- How to Prepare for your FYE Appointment
- Advisors will:
- Understand and effectively communicate curriculum and program requirements.
- Assist students in selecting courses based on personal, educational, and career goals.
- Explain institutional academic policies and procedures.
- Provide information related to college and community resources.
- Be reasonably accessible to students through scheduled in person appointments, drop in, phone calls, and/or e-mails.
- Actively listen to student’s concerns and respect their decisions.
- Discuss academic performance with students, and how that performance relates to success
- Maintain confidentiality according to established standards.
- Collaborate with students in the creation and regular updating of academic plans.
- When meeting with an advisor, students should:
- Be prepared to discuss goals and educational plans.
- Be open regarding needs and goals.
- Engage in learning about campus policies, procedures, and resources.
- Ask questions to clarify any information that is not understood.
- Be open and willing to consider professional recommendations.
- Accept responsibility for personal, academic, and career decisions.
- Follow an individualized academic plan that supports the completion of academic goals.
- Review academic plan periodically and keep advisor apprised of any changes.
- Keep scheduled appointments or give ample notice to reschedule.
- Inform advisor of any academic challenges and difficulties experienced early.
- 8:00am - 6:00pm
- Tue - Thu
- 8:00am - 4:30pm
- 8:00am - 2:00pm
Mondays - Thursdays: Appointment Options include In-Person, Google Meeting and Telephone
Fridays: Appointment Options include Google Meeting and Telephone (No in-person available)
- 7:00am - 6:00pm
- Tue - Thu
- 7:00am - 5:00pm
- (815) 835-6354
|Aldridge, Mandy M.||Academic Advisor/Veteran Representative/PDSO||815-835-6
or ext. 390
|Benson, Celina R.||ECE Academic Advisor / Outreach Coordinator||815-835-6
or ext. 301
|Cox, Eann E.||Academic Advisor and Career Specialist||815-835-6
or ext. 358
|Forsberg, Amy Y.||Academic Advisor / Retention Specialist||815-835-6
or ext. 307
|Hooker, Jennifer J.||Mental Health and Academic Counselor/Assistant Professor I||815-835-6
or ext. 271
|Kern-Lyons, Valerie L.||Professor, Mental Health and Academic Counselor||815-835-6
or ext. 204
|Sisson, Mackenzie M.||Peer Mentor Lead Facilitator||mackenzie.sisson@ svcc.edu|
|Wilkin, Jessica C.||Academic Advisor and Transfer Specialist||815-835-6
or ext. 348