Campus Job Descriptions
- Vice President of Academics and Student Services
- Dean of Business, Career, and Technical Programs
- Program Director of Adult Education
- Director of the SVCC Police Academy
- Assistant Director of the SVCC Police Academy and Security
- Dean of Transfer Programs and Academic Support Services
- Learning Commons Library Coordinator
- Learning Commons Tutoring Coordinator
- Dean of Health Professions
- Dean of Student Services
- Director of Athletics and Fitness Center
- Director of Enrollment Management/Registrar
- Director of Financial Assistance
- Student Support Services Project Director
- Director of Disability Support Services
- Vice President of Advancement
- Executive Director of Donor Relations and Economic Development
- Director of Business Training and Community Education
- Career Services and Community Education Program Coordinator
- Vice President of Business Services (CFO)
- Dean of Information Technology
- Director of Infrastructure and Network Services
- Director of Software and User Services
- Director of Facilities
- Director of Human Resources
TITLE:Learning Commons Circulation and Public Services Assistant
SUPERVISED BY:Learning Commons Library Coordinator
FUNCTION OF THE JOB:
Perform technical and clerical procedures in the library; manage physical and digital archives; assist patrons and provide general assistance in all phases of library operation. Coordinate circulation desk activities and assist library visitors with use of library collections and services. Refer visitors to other College departments and services as appropriate.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Create and maintain accurate circulation calendars, correspondence, and patron records using Ex Libris Alma. Process written overdue notices when needed to ensure efficiency of circulation and integrity of inventory.
- Coordinate interlibrary loan activities using Ex Libris Alma and OCLC WorldShare resource platforms and Illinois Library Delivery Service. Prepare items for delivery and receive returned items, observing required protocols related to record maintenance, bibliographic verification, and correspondence.
- Coordinate with faculty to provide requested course reserve materials for each academic term. Prepare and store physical items for short-term use in library. Create and maintain accurate records in Ex Libris Alma to ensure appropriate circulation policies are applied.
- Assist with evaluation and maintenance of print collection. Identify damaged or endangered materials and ensure that items in the collection are displayed in accordance with the catalog. Remove items identified for deletion and forward as appropriate for processing.
- Prepare reports of print and electronic holdings using Ex Libris Alma and OCLC WorldShare resource management platforms.
- Coordinate with Information Technology Services in order to circulate and maintain an accurate inventory of laptop computers and related equipment.
- Maintain and update institutional print and digital archive collections. Ensure accuracy of archive catalog systems to reflect accurate holdings. Safeguard stored physical documents by utilizing archival quality materials. Coordinate with College administration to identify and convert additional documents to digital format for preservation.
- Provide research assistance as required, including library discovery service, online subscriptions, and Internet information.
- Assist with the creation of online guides and tutorials to assist library users with use of library resources.
- Coordinate updates of library website to ensure information is current and accurate, and that links function correctly.
- Assist patrons by providing information and technical support for use of campus technologies.
- Assist with training and supervision of library work-study employees.
- Obtain and maintain certifications for Pearson Vue, Workkeys, CNA, TEAS, DSST, and Accuplacer tests and assist Testing Center Coordinator in giving specific tests virtually and in person.
- Assume all other reasonable professional duties and responsibilities as assigned by the supervisor.
- Must understand and support the mission of the community college.
- Must have strong communication (written and oral) and interpersonal skills.
- Must be able to communicate effectively by phone and email on a daily basis.
- Must be able to operate basic office equipment proficiently.
- Must be able to work effectively in a team environment.
- Must be able to lift 50 lbs.
- Time spent standing and walking while assisting patrons and re-shelving books is approximately 70%; time sitting for data entry and materials processing. is 30%
- Must have the ability to work with Microsoft Office products.
- Must be able to work evenings and weekends as required.
Frequent personal contact is made with all levels of college personnel, faculty, students, the general public, and outside organizations in relation to specific departmental duties and services.
Functional supervision is exercised over designated work-study students.
Associates degree and three years of library experience or equivalent education and experience is required; bachelor’s degree is preferred. Experience or training in relevant library and information services and technologies is preferred. Excellent communication skills and service orientation required.
TORT LIABILITY STATEMENT:
Coordinates the College Risk Management Program in a capacity appropriate to this position. This includes, but is not limited to, monitoring conditions, events and circumstances present through daily College operations, and communicating observations to the appropriate supervisor or taking necessary actions to correct, prevent or limit safety problems. May serve as a member of a committee that supports the health, safety and/or legal rights of visitors, students and staff. Such committees may include the AA/EEO, Sexual Harassment, and Safety/Loss Control committees. (Risk Management Categories I, III, IV. See Tort file.)
This description is intended to indicate the kinds and levels of work difficulty that will be required of the position that will be given the title and shall not be construed as declaring what specific duties and responsibilities of any particular position shall be. It is not intended to limit or in any way modify the right of the supervisor to assign, direct, and control the work of employees under supervision. The use of a particular expression or illustration describing duties shall not be held to exclude other duties not mentioned that are of a similar kind or level of difficulty.