High School Diploma Policy

High School Diploma Policy

The Office of Financial Assistance at Sauk Valley Community College requires an official copy of a student’s high school diploma for proof of receipt and validity. If there is any question about whether the school is considered to be a diploma mill school, the Office of Admissions and Records will review and determine whether the diploma meets requirements. The Office of Admissions and Records will use a list of accredited state agencies in order to determine validity. A list of these agencies is available in the Office of Admissions and Records and in the Office of Financial Assistance. If a diploma is deemed to be received from a diploma mill, it will not meet the requirements for financial assistance and the student will be required to complete and provide a copy of the GED prior to any financial assistance eligibility being awarded.

The Higher Education Opportunity Act defines a diploma mill as follows:

DIPLOMA MILL- The term `diploma mill' means an entity that--

(A)(i) offers, for a fee, degrees, diplomas, or certificates, that may be used to represent to the general public that the individual possessing such a degree, diploma, or certificate has completed a program of postsecondary education or training; and (ii) requires such individual to complete little or no education or coursework to obtain such degree, diploma, or certificate; and

(B) lacks accreditation by an accrediting agency or association that is recognized as an accrediting agency or association of institutions of higher education (as such term is defined in section 102) by--

(i) the Secretary pursuant to subpart 2 of part H of title IV; or (ii) a Federal agency, State government, or other organization or association that recognizes accrediting agencies or associations.