Withdrawal process

Student Initiated

During the first two weeks of the fall and spring semesters, a student may drop a course by filing a program change form in the Office of Admissions and Records.

From the third through the tenth week of the class, a student may withdraw from a course by filing an instructor signed program change in the Office of Admission and Records. The signature indicates that the instructor is aware of the withdrawal and has had an opportunity to discuss reasons for the withdrawal and possible alternatives. The instructor must indicate the official last date of attendance on the program change form. A grade of "W" will be recorded on the student's transcript.

Deadlines for withdrawal will be pro-rated for classes that meet less than 16 weeks, including summer sessions. See the current class schedule for exact dates for withdrawal. Students receiving financial aid should consult the Office of Student Financial Assistance before withdrawing from classes. Dual-enrollment students should contact their high school counselor prior to withdrawing.

The student's failure to withdraw properly may result in a failing grade of "F" in the course.

Instructor Initiated

Prior to the final examination, an instructor may withdraw a student if the instructor believes a student cannot successfully complete the course. The Office of Admissions and Records will notify the student of this withdrawal. The student will receive a final grade of "W" as outlined above. Students should consult individual instructors about his/her policy on withdrawing the student from the course. Any time a "W" grade is assigned, the official last date of attendance must be recorded.

Students enrolled in health career courses may be withdrawn immediately from these courses if their clinical performance contributes to either the physical or emotional jeopardy of clients. Students may appeal this withdrawal by using established department and College appeal procedures.

Withdrawal from the College

Full-time students who decide to withdraw from the College must meet with the Vice President of Student Services or his/her designee, complete a withdrawal form and clear all obligations with the College. Grades for students who withdraw from the College after the second week of classes will be recorded as "W." Students withdrawing from the College may, with official permission, do so during the designated withdrawal period. Students who stop attending classes without notification may receive a grade of "F" in all courses.

to top