Financial Aid Frequently Asked Questions

Have a question that is not answered here? E-mail us at fa@svcc.edu!
How do I apply for federal and state financial aid programs?
The primary form you need to complete is called the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), and it can be completed online at studentaid.gov.
What is Sauk Valley Community College’s federal school code?
The 6 digit federal school code is 001752.
How often do I have to complete the FAFSA and apply for financial assistance?
Students should fill out the FAFSA every year as early as possible. The new FAFSA becomes available on October 1st each year.  We recommend that students complete the FAFSA even if they are unsure that they will return to school during the next academic year.
What happens if I apply late?
You are responsible for paying your tuition by the date on your bill. If your financial assistance is not complete by the date tuition is due, you must make arrangements in the Business Office to pay your bill or initiate a Deferred Payment Plan.
Are all programs eligible for financial aid?
No. Certified Nursing Assistant (CNA), Emergency Medical Technician, Phlebotomy, and Truck Driver Training are some of the programs not eligible for financial aid. They do not meet the federal minimum program length requirements for financial aid.
Is financial aid available during the summer semesters?
Year-round Pell grant funds allow qualifying students who have not reached their lifetime eligibility usage to continue enrollment toward completion of their selected certification or degree program. To receive a Summer Pell grant, students must meet all requirements. Contact the Financial Aid office to see if you qualify.
I probably don't qualify for aid, should I apply anyway?
Yes! Many families never receive aid they are eligible for because they fail to complete the FAFSA. We encourage all students to complete the FAFSA. Some sources of aid require completing the FAFSA but are not based on need, such as Unsubsidized Stafford and PLUS loans.
Can I charge my books in the bookstore if I am eligible for grants?
If you have been awarded a Pell Grant, SEOG, or scholarship and there is enough money left after paying tuition and fees, you may use the remaining funds to pay for your books. Check with the book store each semester to find out when you can start charging books. When charging books to your financial assistance, inform the bookstore employee that you wish to charge your books against your financial assistance award.
I'm taking classes here and at another school. Can I get aid at both schools?
No. You can only receive aid from one school at a time. You should apply for financial aid at the school where you are seeking your degree.
I am a high school student who is taking dual enrollment courses. Am I eligible for financial aid?
No. You must have a high school diploma or the equivalent in order to be eligible for financial aid.
I am a high school student taking dual enrollment courses. Do I have to meet the Standards of Academic Progress Policy?
Yes. While you may not be receiving financial aid now, not meeting the Standards of Academic Progress policy could cause you to lose eligibility for financial assistance in the future. This includes grants, loans, work-study and potential Sauk Scholar awards.
I was awarded Federal Work Study. Can I use it to pay for my tuition?
No. Federal Work Study is not guaranteed money. If you are hired you may earn up to the awarded amount. Work-study students at Sauk are paid the state minimum wage twice per month. You will be paid based on the amount of hours you work.
Why do I have to provide my parents’ information on the FAFSA?
When you apply for federal student aid, your answers to the dependency status questions on the FAFSA will determine whether you’re considered dependent on your parents or independent. If you’re considered dependent, your parents’ income and assets as well as your own must be reported on the FAFSA.
If I don't live at home with my parents, am I an independent student?
Not necessarily. Federal regulations require you be considered a dependent student if you are under 24 years old unless you are a veteran, are married, support a child, or are an orphan or a ward of the court. If you feel you have a unique circumstance, you should contact your school’s financial aid office.
My parents are divorced. My mother is remarried and my stepfather has not adopted me. Is my stepfather required to supply his financial information when I apply for aid?
Yes. Your mother and stepfather must both supply financial information when you are applying for aid since all resources in the household must be considered.
My friend got more financial aid than I did, and I don't understand why. Her parents make more money than my parents.
There are several reasons why your friend could have received more aid. For example, the college she is attending may have more aid to offer. She may have earned less money from working than you did. There also may be more family members in the household that her parents are supporting.

These and other factors could cause students to receive different amounts of financial aid. Each student’s financial aid package is designed especially for that individual.
I live with my grandparents, who are my legal guardians. Should I use their income information on my financial aid application?
No. A legal guardian's income will not be listed on the FAFSA. If you can provide a copy of a court's decision that you are in legal guardianship, you must answer the appropriate question on the FAFSA "yes". The court must be located in your state of legal residence. You will be considered an independent student and must provide the school with a copy of the court's decision. If you can not provide a copy of a court's decision that you are in legal guardianship, you must answer "no". You will be considered a dependent student and must provide the appropriate parent's information. If you feel you have unique circumstances, please contact the school.