What to know before you go

Travel Outside of the United States

  • Must carry and unexpired F-1 visa for re-entry, or renew the F-1 visa in home country prior to re-entry (Canadian citizens are exempt from this requirement)
  • Must carry a valid passport
  • Must carry Form I-20 with a valid unexpired travel signature (do not wait until the last minute to request an updated signature)
  • Recommended to carry the SEVIS 901 fee receipt
  • Recommended to carry financial documentation
  • Recommended to carry a copy of a full time class schedule for the upcoming term
  • Students may not be asked to present every document listed at each re-entry, but it is a good idea to have all documents readily available, in case they are needed