Sometimes grants, scholarships and other financial assistance are just not enough. Student loans provide the opportunity to have additional funds available to the student while in school. You must be in good standing with the Standard of Academic Progress to be eligible for a loan at SVCC. If you are in denial or probation you are not eligible for a loan unless an appeal has been submitted and approved. Click below to find out more information about student loans.
Deadline for Fall 2023 Loans is November 10, 2023.
Deadline for Spring 2024 Loans is April 12, 2024.
Deadline for Summer 2024 Loans is June 20, 2024.
Types of Direct Loans Offered at SVCC
The following are made through the Federal Direct Loan Program, which is administered by the U.S. Department of Education:
- Direct Subsidized Loans
- Are for students with demonstrated financial need, as determined by federal regulations. No interest is charged while a student is in school at least half-time, during the grace period and during deferment periods.
- Direct Unsubsidized Loans
- Are not based on financial need; interest is charged during all periods, even during the time a student is in school and during grace and deferment periods.
- Direct PLUS Loans
- Are unsubsidized loans for the parents of dependent students and for graduate/professional students. PLUS loans help pay for education expenses up to the cost of attendance minus all other financial assistance. Interest is charged during all periods.
Alternative/Private Loans are loans that are processed with a lender of your choosing. Once you have selected a lender please notify the Office of Financial Assistance of your pending loan.
REFUNDS OF EXCESS LOANS
Loan refunds are made by check to students who are registered, don't have holds on their accounts, and whose disbursed aid exceeds their SVCC charges. Check Student Self-Service for your refund status and also check to be sure you've taken all necessary steps for your aid to be disbursed. Refunds on credit balances will be processed by the business office within 14 days.
Student Loan Information
- Loan Process - Information on loans, the process and regulations
- Loan Process Flowchart - Flowchart showing how loans are processed
- Student Loan Code of Conduct - Code of Conduct regarding student loans, SVCC and lenders
- Should I Pay Interest Now or Later? - Before you sign your MPN read this!
Request Direct Loan
- Direct Loans (for students) - Request your Direct Loan here