What Resources and Financial Aid is Available?

There are two basic types of financial aid: gift aid and self-help aid. Gift Aid is assistance you receive that does not have to be repaid such as scholarships and grants. Self-Help Aid includes work opportunities and loans. It's called self-help because you take responsibility for receiving this type of aid. Work-Study allows you to earn money while you are in college. Students Loans assist students with educational expenses while in college.

Gift Aid

Self-Help Aid

If you or your family has unusual situations or circumstances which were not taken into consideration when filing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA®) you may request a Professional Judgment (PJ).  Federal regulations give a financial aid administrator discretion or professional judgment on a case-by-case basis and with adequate documentation to make adjustments to the data elements on the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA®) form that impact your Expected Family Contribution (EFC) to gain a more accurate assessment of your family's ability to contribute to your cost of education. The PJ is reviewed by the Director of the Office of Financial Assistance once your initial application has been processed by the federal government and verification completed by Sauk Valley Community College (SVCC). The student is required to complete verification before the institution exercises any authority under section 479A(a) of the HEA to make changes to the applicant's cost of attendance or to the values of the data items required to calculate the EFC.

Unusual Circumstances may include but are not limited to:

  • Loss of Income
  • Separation or Divorce
  • Death of a Spouse or parent
  • Paid medical expenses not covered by insurance in excess of 11% in FAFSA formula of AGI

 If you believe you have circumstances that may warrant the processing of a Professional Judgment please contact the Financial Assistance Office.

There are various benefit programs and resources available at the federal, state and local level. Benefit programs provide assistance or benefits to individuals on the basis of need.  

Benefit Programs

  • Illinois Department of Human Services Family and Community Services provides Illinois residents with streamlined access to integrated services, especially those who are striving to move from welfare to work and economic independence, and others who face multiple challenges to self-sufficiency.  https://www.dhs.state.il.us/page.aspx?item=29734

Campus Wide and Community Resource Support


  • Bureau County Housing Authority (low income housing) 444 S Church St. Princeton, IL 61356. 815-879-8106.
  • Tri-County Opportunities Council-Rock Falls- (Homelessness prevention services, emergency shelter vouchers, low income housing. Serving Bureau, Carroll, LaSalle, Lee, Marshall, Ogle, Putnam, Stark and Whiteside Counties in Illinois.)
    Housing - Tri-County Opportunities Council (tcochelps.org)
  • YWCA of the Sauk Valley (Emergency shelter from domestic violence)
    98 S. Galena Ave. Dixon, IL 61021. Ph: 815-288-1141 and
    412 1st Ave. Sterling IL 61081. Ph: 815-625-0333 
    YWCA Sauk Valley - Eliminating Racism, Empowering Women. (ywsauk.org)